Friday, June 1, 2007

Moby Dick



"Moby Dick" by Herman Melville

After finishing "In the Heart of the Sea" by Nathaniel Philbrick I decided to read "Moby Dick" while I still had all of the whaling terminology in my head. I needn't have bothered. As the blurb on the Barnes & Noble edition tells you, the book is a virtual enyclopedia of whales and whaling. Melville doles out the whaling life in mind-numbing detail.

The first quarter of the book was fast reading. The middle lost me.
The last quarter went quicker, but by then I just wanted to finish. But, it's on my Book of Great Books TBR list. So if I set a voluntary goal for myself I have to just bite the bullet and take the good with the long, drawn-out. Not one of my favorites.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I know...Moby Dick just didn't do it for me either!!

Imani said...

I think Moby Dick is destined to be one of those great novels that I'll never bother to read. Too bad you didn't enjoy it but good on you for sticking to the end. (I'd have probably dumped it.)

Petunia said...

I slogged through this one too. I didn't like it at all but I was so proud of myself for having finished it. It's something to brag about, ya know?