Monday, June 4, 2007

Here on Earth


"Here on Earth" by Alice Hoffman
As one of the comments in the front cover says "Here on Earth" is a "Wuthering Heights" for the 90's. Trouble is I didn't much care for "Wuthering Heights." March's father found a young boy during a trip to the city and brought him home to raise. March gets a crush on him. Big brother Alan is jealous and hateful. Dad dies. Alan is king of the castle and treats the boy, Hollis, like a servant. Hollis leaves town. March gets married. Yup..."Wuthering Heights."

March Murray and her 14-year old daughter return to March's hometown for a funeral. Hollis squirms back into her life. Much more from me and you'll know Rosebud is a sled.

Anyway, the book kept my interest. I read it in one day. I was curious about what would happen to the characters but I didn't care for them. The book left an unpleasant aftertaste. But I liked Hoffman's writing enough to give her another try. So I'll be looking for good recommendations.

3 comments:

Dewey said...

Wow, I KNOW I read this book, but I just don't remember it at all.

Yorick said...

Have you read Practical Magic? I thought that was an amazing book. Not nearly as painful as Wurthering Heights nor as you suggest this "Here on Earth" is.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

For some reason I had a tough time with this one--I think because of the tense it is written in (if I remember its all present tense instead of past tense) which seemed strange to me. I loved Wuthering Heights, though--