Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Great Expectations


"Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens

Pip is an young boy living with his sister and her husband after the deaths of both his parents. He expects to be apprenticed to his brother-in-law, Joe, to be a blacksmith. After a while, a lawyer comes to him with startling news. A "Secret Santa" is going to sponsor him to learn to be a gentleman. But he must never question who. The sponsor will show himself at his own convenience.

I have decided to read all the books my book club read before I joined and this was one of them. My first Charles Dickens and I loved it. I read it in two days. I wish I'd been in on the discussions with the book club. Anyway someone has nominated "Bleak House" for our next season of books and I'm all for it. I want another Dickens.

3 comments:

Petunia said...

I love Dickens so much that I named my cat for him. His characters are such caricatures. After reading Bleak House you have to watch the movie. It is fantastic. It's incredibly long and has plenty of Kleenex scenes(which I loved).

Suey said...

Two days?! Wow! Great Expectations is one of my all time favorites. The next Dickens I'd like to read is also Bleak House. Don't know when I'll get to it though. I'll have to add it to some challenge that's going and then I'll be "forced" to!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Wow, you sure punch out those classics, huh? I liked Great Expectations, but I loved Our Mutual Friend (a little thicker).