Thursday, November 29, 2007

Booking Through Thursday-Rolling

Booking through Thursday

Do you get on a roll when you read, so that one book leads to the next, which leads to the next, and so on and so on?

I don’t so much mean something like reading a series from beginning to end, but, say, a string of books that all take place in Paris. Or that have anthropologists as the main character. Or were written in the same year. Something like that… Something that strings them together in your head, and yet, otherwise could be different genres, different authors…

Not really. I can only remember twice that I deliberately went after a book that was like my current book. While reading "Heart of the Sea", I was led to "Moby Dick." And after I read "Year of Wonders," I immediately wanted "The Plague."

And sometimes I'll follow an author. When I read "Of Mice and Men" I wanted more Steinbeck but I was disappointed with "The Pearl". "The Alchemist has made me a Coelho fan. I read "Veronica Decides to Die." And I want more of his books.

Sometimes I'll follow genres for three or four books, but other than that my reading is controlled my my TBR list and which books can be inserted into the challenges I'm in.

4 comments:

CeeCee said...

If I start a book in the middle of a series, I have to read the previous books.

heather (errantdreams) said...

I often go on author/genre/topic kicks for a short time, but it doesn't take me long to get back to randomly picking up whatever looks interesting!

pussreboots said...

Reading challenges keep me on a roll. Happy BTT.

Petunia said...

I usually prefer variety. I have a hard time reading too many of the same types of books at once. I love my challenge books but I rarely read, say, two Newberys in a row.