Friday, September 5, 2008

Heart of Darkness

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

"Heart of Darkness" follows an Englishman, Marlowe, on his travels into the Congo. He has been hired to ferry ivory from upriver, and bring back an ill station manager, Kurtz. He becomes fascinated with Kurtz' reputation. Kurtz is seen as a highly able man who is extremely successful at supplying ivory.

Marlowe is forced to spend several weeks at the port awaiting supplies to repair his boat. He's horrified to see the way the natives are treated. They're disposable. Barely fed, and badlly mistreated. Disposable. They're considered subhuman.

Marlowe is horrified with everything around him and events on the trip are no better. But when he finally meets Kurtz, he truly sees the heart of darkness.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Did you like this book? I tried to read it once, but I couldn't get into it. Probably timing. I'd like to try it again, though.

Kimmie said...

I did like it. It took me a little while to get into it. But I took it to work with me and had nothing else to read---my favorite trick for books that seem difficult to pick up.

Stephanie said...

See...maybe I just didn't give it enough time. Cause I really had a hard time getting into it.

Petunia said...

This is one of those books that is very unpleasant but that I just fell in love with. It's one of my favorites.