Monday, December 31, 2007

The Bridge of San Luis Rey

The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder

1928 Pulitzer Prize

Brother Juniper is a monk who witnesses the collapse of the rope bridge between Lima and Cuzco broke and plunged five people to death in the gorge below. He immediately wonders why the disaster happened to that particular five people. He sets out on an investigation into their lives to try to find out if they deserved their fate.

I enjoyed the book, but I didn't get what the big Pulitzer whoopty-do was about.

3 comments:

Petunia said...

This is on my list to read this year. I've heard good things about it. I'm definitely curious.

Jeane said...

This was in my father's collection of classics and I read it five or so years ago; I couldn't really grasp what the big deal was either. Something about fate, maybe? I don't remember it well, now.

Camille said...

This is next to the next Pulitzer I plan to read (I'm doing them in order.) And not getting the big deal about the Pulitzer? I've read the first eight so far, and yeah, I find myself asking the same question. Especially The Able McLaughlins. All I can think is there wasn't much competition in the twenties.